Thinking about trying clothing rental? Or looking for more sustainable clothing options? This Le Tote review will help you decide if you want to try it or not.
I love clothes, especially dresses and skirts. And cardigans, I have an obsession with cardigans. I don’t have a minimalist wardrobe. I know it’s trendy now, especially capsule wardrobes and more power to those that works for. It doesn’t work for me, it’s not what makes me happy.
There are a couple of problems though. I live in a mid-century home, which I love, but it’s small and has very small reach-in closets. I’m also currently losing weight so my size isn’t staying the same.
When I heard about Le Tote clothing rental I thought it was a possible solution for these issues and also an eco-friendly way to have a lot of variety in my clothing.
If you haven’t heard of Le Tote it’s kind of like Stitch Fix but instead of new clothes to buy it’s a clothing rental service. You pay a monthly fee and they send you boxes of clothes and accessories. You can keep items if you wish for a discounted price or send them all back and get a new box. It’s similar to Rent the Runway and Gwynnie Bee.
I was able to get a Le Tote free trial so I thought it would be fun to try it out. I thought it would also be fun to share my experience with you. This post is not sponsored, I do have affiliate links but this is my very honest Le Tote review and my experience.
My Le Tote Review
How Le Tote Works
- Sign up for your first box. There are two types of plans to choose from, monthly and unlimited. Monthly plans start at $79 a month and unlimited starts at $150 a month.
- Fill out your profile. The more information you give the better your box will be. You add details like measurements, colors you like, styles you like, and where you live so weather can be accounted for.
- Add items to your closet. You can look through the items available and add the ones you like to what they call your closet. This helps them know what items you like.
- Wait for your box to be styled. In one to two days your box will be ready and you will be able to look at what was picked. You can also change out what you don’t like. I honestly switched out most of my first box but I hadn’t added anything to my closet yet so it should get better.
- Get your box. I was shocked how quickly my box came. It was perfect timing for me to be able to wear the dress from the box out for date night. You can keep the items as long as you want (if you have a free trial you need to send them back before that ends to prevent being charged, otherwise there is no time limit).
- Send back or keep the items. If you love something you can keep it and they will charge you the discounted price. For the items, you are sending back simply place them in the postage-paid bag, no need to wash them they take care of that as well.
- Get your next box. Once the bag is shipped they start working on your next box. The process starts all over again. When you have a full membership you can get as many boxes as you’d like in a month.
Pros of Le Tote
- You get to customize your box. When I first heard about this I figured I wouldn’t like it because I’m picky when it comes to clothes and I thought they would send me things I didn’t like. When I saw you could go in and switch items I was thrilled.
- You have to do less laundry. I don’t have to worry about if things are dry clean only and I have a bit less laundry to do.
- You can try things you wouldn’t buy. I’m using it to get out of my comfort zone a bit. I’m trying to pick things that I wouldn’t buy but I think I may end up liking.
- I don’t have to buy multiple new wardrobes as I lose weight. I hate buying clothes that I hope I won’t fit in soon. Seems very wasteful. With this service, I can get new items in my current size without having to feel guilty that I won’t have it long. While this doesn’t matter for me, they do have a maternity option which follows this same idea of not having to buy clothes in multiple sizes.
- It’s an encouragement to get dressed. I’ve talked about the advantages of ditching the yoga pants and getting dressed each day and this is a fun way to do that. You get to try different clothes and you don’t even have to wash them.
- It’s eco-friendly. Clothing uses a lot of resources to make. However, I hate thrift shopping. I don’t like digging through a ton of stuff I don’t like to find maybe one thing. I know it saves a lot of money and is good for the environment but it’s not my thing. This allows me to have gently used clothing (everything I got was in perfect shape and seemed brand new) without the digging.
- They have high-quality brands. The brands they carry are good quality and also pretty trendy. If you follow me on Instagram you may know I’m a big fan of Kate Spade so seeing that that is a brand they carry was one thing that made me want to try it.
- You can get a new outfit for a special occasion. While they don’t have fancy clothing they do have nice dresses and other clothes that could be nice for a night out or special occasion. (If you are looking for fancy outfits, try Rent the Runway.)
- It’s great for traveling. I have used my subscription for travel. It’s nice to pick outfits that are perfect for the trip and you don’t even have to wash them when you get home!
- They have great customer service. I kept a bracelet from my last Tote and I was originally charged for the bracelet and the earrings I sent back. I emailed customer service and in less than 30 minutes I had an email with an apology and they went above and beyond to fix it. I’m actually happy about this mistake because it gives me a chance to share my experience for anyone considering trying the service.
Want to try Le Tote? Get 40% off your first month. Use code: 40FORSPRING expires 3/17
Cons of Le Tote
- It can be pricey for some. The cheapest option is $79 a month. That’s a lot of money each month. However, it’s cheaper than buying five name brand, high-quality clothing items each month. It can save you money depending on your clothing spending habits.
- The clothes are used. This honestly isn’t a con for me, it’s a pro but I wanted to add it since for some people it could be a con. If you have very sensitive skin you may want to wash things when you get them. I found they smelled lightly of soap but not enough to bother me and I tend to be very sensitive to scents. I also haven’t had any issues with my sensitive skin but it is something to keep in mind.
- You have to pay extra for insurance. It is $5 extra for insurance but I highly recommend it. It protects you if there is a stain or rip. I think it’s worth it and it’s not much but it’s something to keep in mind.
- They recently increased prices. When I got my subscription in January there was a $59 a month plan and you got 3 clothing items and two accessories, and it was an unlimited plan. As of June 28, 2018, the rates have increased and plans have changed. I’m still on my original plan because they seem to have grandfathered in old members. For me, I think the price is still worth it. I also tried Rent the Runway Unlimited (review coming soon) and I find I wear and enjoy my Le Tote membership a lot more. Rent the Runway is great for dressier events but for every day I’m still loving Le Tote.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What sizes do they offer?
They have up to size 16. They also help you get the correct size by having you share your measurements.
- Why don’t you see everything you put in your closet when in swap mode?
The items in your closet are all of the things available they may not all be available at the time of swapping. You can wait and see if more becomes available.
- Are you still using and enjoying Le Tote?
Yes! I started in January 2018 and I’m still using it now. I get about a tote a week. I have kept a few items and still enjoy trying new things all of the time. I haven’t purchased any clothes outside of Le Tote since starting to use the service and I even cleared out a lot of clothes. It’s helped keep my closet a lot more organized.
Overall this has been a fun service to try out. I have thought about Stitch Fix for a long time but it doesn’t make sense while I’m losing weight. This service is perfect since I don’t need to worry about that since I’m not keeping the items long term.
After reading my Le Tote review, you want to try it out you can sign up here. Let me know what you think if you have tried it.