An honest Gwynnie Bee review of this clothing rental subscription service that allows you to get new clothes without filling up your closet. I tried it out and here are my thoughts.
Have you heard of clothing rental yet? I’ve talked about it a few times on the blog. It’s a lot like Stitch Fix and those kinds of clothing subscription boxes but instead of trying on the clothes and buying them or sending them back you are renting the pieces.
That means you can wear them as much as you want and send them back when you are ready for new items. It’s great for anyone that is trying to buy fewer clothes for sustainability reasons or just likes always trying new things. It’s also really great if you are losing weight and don’t want to buy new clothes in different sizes.
For about a year now I’ve been renting clothes from Le Tote. It’s been a great way to always have new things to wear without having to go shopping or have an overflowing closet.
I also recently added an NY&C Closet subscription to my life. Having multiple boxes is nice because I always have several different options.
I always love to try new services to share with you and to see if there are others I want to use or if I want to switch from the ones I’m currently using.
Around Black Friday I saw a good deal for Gwynnie Bee so I decided that would be my next one to try. It’s one of the first options that came out and I still hadn’t tried it! I’m really glad I did and now I can share my thoughts with you.
I was not paid for this review but I am using my referral link so I’ll get a discount on my subscription if you order at no additional cost to you. And these are my truly honest thoughts after having Gwynnie Bee for two months.
My Gwynnie Bee Review
HOW IT WORKS
- Sign up for your first box free box. You simply create an account and give your information. You will also fill out some style information.
- Fill your closet. You can then go through all of the items offered on the site and add them to your closet. You need to have at least 6 items saved for your first box to be filled.
- Wait for your box to be styled. In a few days, you will get told your box is ready. You can wait and be surprised or go check out what’s being sent.
- Get your box. It usually takes a couple of days after the box is styled for me to get it.
- Wear the clothes. You can wear the items as long as you want.
- Keep or send back the clothes. Once you are ready for your next box you can decide to keep an item or both at a big discount or send it all back.
- Get your next box. Once you are ready to send back your box you can go into the app and mark the items as returned or purchased and Gwynnie Bee will start working on your next box right away.
Pros of Gwynnie Bee
- New items are added often. At least once a week I get an email saying new items have been added. I love having new options all of the time.
- You have to do less laundry. One of the great things about services like this is you don’t have to wash the clothes, they wash them for you!
- They have some of my favorite brands. I love retro-inspired clothing and this subscription box has the most options in that style! They carry ModCloth, Unique Vintage, and eShakti which are some of my favorite retro-inspired brands.
- You get to try new styles. When buying clothes you can end up playing it safe because you don’t want to waste money. When you are renting there is no commitment so you can try things that are more outside of your comfort zone. This has really helped me find some styles I never thought I’d like but I actually do!
- When you like the clothes they are very affordable. The items are affordable in your box plus you can earn points to get more discounts and they have an outlet so you can buy other clothes at a discount.
- They have a wide range of sizes. One of the best things about Gwynnie Bee is they offer 0-32 sizes! They actually started with only offering 10-32 but now they offer sizing for everyone.
- It’s great for weight loss. A big goal for me this year is to reach my goal weight. I don’t want to buy more clothes in this size or the in-between size. Renting means I can have clothes that fit without shopping all of the time.
- It’s an encouragement to get dressed every day. I’ve talked about the advantages of ditching the yoga pants and getting dressed each day and this is a fun way to do that. You won’t be bored with your clothes and that’s a good encouragement to actually wear them.
- It’s better for the environment. A lot of us have goals to be a bit greener this year and this is a great way to do that. Clothes require a lot of resources to make. When you rent clothing you are basically sharing a huge closet with other people so less new clothing is required. It does have a carbon footprint with the shipping and packaging but less than new clothes.
Cons of Gwynnie Bee
- You don’t get to pick the clothes. This is actually true of most clothing rental services, you pick items you like and then your box is created from those items but you can’t actually pick what you get it. Le Tote and Rent the Runway are two of the only services I know of where you can pick what you get. You can make items a priority to try and get the things you want the most.
- The clothes are used. This is true for all clothing rental services. For me, it’s a pro because it makes it more sustainable but this can be a con for some people. They do try and take clothes out of rotation if they are getting worn.
- Turn over is a little slow. You can speed this up by marking items as returned when you are ready to send them back but it still takes a bit of time for your box to be styled and shipped.
- It’s pricey. This subscription service costs $75.47 a month which is less than some services but you only get two items per box. With NY&C Closet you get 3 items and it’s $49.95 a month. Gwynnie Bee does carry more expensive brands and has a wider range of sizes but you will have to consider if that is worth it for you.
- You have to call to cancel. You can’t cancel online you have to call customer service. I hate making phone calls so this is a pretty big con for me. I haven’t canceled my subscription yet but if/when I do I will update on how it goes.
Overall I really like this subscription box. I’m considering keeping it even though I already have two other subscription boxes.
Want to give it a try yourself? Click here to get your first month of Gwynnie Bee for free!