An honest NY&C Closet review of this clothing rental subscription service that allows you to get new clothes without filling up your closet. I tried it out and here are my thoughts.
Have you heard of clothing rental yet? I’ve talked about it a few times on the blog. It’s a lot like Stitch Fix and those kinds of clothing subscription boxes but instead of trying on the clothes and buying them or sending them back you are renting the pieces.
That means you can wear them as much as you want and send them back when you are ready for new items. It’s great for anyone that is trying to buy fewer clothes for sustainability reasons or just likes always trying new things.
For about a year now I’ve been renting clothes from Le Tote. It’s been a great way to always have new things to wear without having to go shopping or have an overflowing closet.
I have also been trying other clothing rental services lately. One I really wanted to try was NY&C Closet. I have purchased a lot of clothing from NY&C in the past so I figured it was a good one to try.
I was not paid for this review but I am using my referral link so I’ll get a discount on my subscription if you order at no additional cost to you. And these are my truly honest thoughts after getting a couple of boxes from NY&C Closet.
My NY&C Closet Review
HOW IT WORKS
- Sign up for your first box. You simply create an account and give your information.
- Fill your closet. You can then go through all of the items offered on the site and add them to your closet. You need to have at least 8 items saved for your first box to be filled.
- Wait for your box to be styled. In a day or two, you should have your first box styled and sent to you. You can check and see what is being sent or wait and be surprised.
- Get your box. I have gotten my boxes in about 2 days after they were shipped.
- Send back or keep the items. When you are done with your clothes and want new ones just put them in the postage-paid bag and send them off. If you love any of the items you can keep them for a discounted price. So far every item I’ve received has been under $20 to purchase.
- Get your next box. Once your box is received your next box will be styled and you start the process all over again.
Try out NY&C today and get $10 off of your first month.
Pros of NY&C Closet
- New items are added often. It seems like new items are added weekly. It’s nice to always have new options popping up.
- You have to do less laundry. One of the great things about services like this is you don’t have to wash the clothes, they wash them for you!
- You get to try new styles. When buying clothes you can end up playing it safe because you don’t want to waste money. When you are renting there is no commitment so you can try things that are more outside of your comfort zone.
- When you like the clothes they are very affordable. Like I said I haven’t had an item over $20 yet. I’m sure there are some but everything is super affordable.
- You don’t have to buy multiple new wardrobes if you are losing weight. I have been losing weight and that can lead to wearing clothes that are too big for you or having to buy things all of the time. That’s a pain and also not very budget-friendly. With rental services like this, you can just change which sizes you are getting any time you lose weight.
- It’s an encouragement to get dressed. I’ve talked about the advantages of ditching the yoga pants and getting dressed each day and this is a fun way to do that. You get to try different clothes and you don’t even have to wash them.
- It’s good for the environment. Clothes require a lot of resources to make. When you rent clothing you are basically sharing a huge closet with other people so less new clothing is required.
- If you like NY&C you will love the clothes. These are the same clothes you see in store so if you like the brand you will be happy. I have purchased a lot of clothing from NY&C so I knew I would like the items I was getting.
Cons of NY&C Closet
- You don’t get to pick the clothes. Unlike some clothing rental boxes, you don’t get to pick what goes in your box with this one. It can make it a fun surprise but it can also mean clothes that don’t work for your schedule that week. My first box had two white dresses. They both were cute but I really didn’t need to wear two white dresses in a short period of time. You are picking what goes in your closet and that is what the clothes are picked from but you don’t pick each item, each time.
- The clothes are used. This is true for all clothing rental services. For me, it’s a pro because it makes it more sustainable but this can be a con for some people.
- It can be hard to find your size. I have found as an item is on the site longer it can be in very limited sizes. It seemed like the smallest and the largest sizes were the most common to be left over.
- Turn over is a little slow. I’m used to Le Tote which starts to work on your new box as soon as you ship back your package. With this service, it doesn’t seem to get filled until your first box is back so that can slow things down.
- You have to call to cancel. You can’t cancel online you have to call customer service. It took me about 5 minutes so it wasn’t too bad but it would be nice to be able to cancel online.
Overall I have enjoyed this service and I really like the clothes. Because I can’t pick the items I receive I’m not sure if I will keep the service long term or not but it is worth trying.
Want to give it a try yourself? Click here to get $10 off your first month. And if you have tried it let me know in the comments what you thought of it.