Considering renting clothing? One clothing rental service to try is The Ms. Collection. I tried the service and this is my The Ms. Collection review.
(This post is not sponsored but The Ms. Collection did give me these boxes for free to try.)
I love trying new clothes and styles but don’t love shopping so when I heard about clothing rental I had to try it out. For the last year, I’ve been using Le Tote.
I’ve really loved renting clothes. I have new things to wear all of the time and I basically never go shopping for clothes. Sometimes I buy the things I rent if I love them but most of the time I just send them back for new things.
I’ve tried so many styles and brands I would have never tried before. It’s such a great way to try new things since you aren’t committing to anything.
Stitch Fix is great for helping with this as well but you can only try things on you can’t really wear things out. Plus you are buying things so you are filling up your closet. With clothing rental, you can wear new things and just send them back and get more.
I have gotten two boxes from The Ms. Collection so far and I want to share my honest thoughts about the service and boxes I received. Hopefully, it will help you decide if you want to try it out.
My The Ms. Collection Review
How The Ms. Collection Works
- Pick your subscription. There are four different subscription options started at $59 a month. You can change your membership anytime.
- Fill out your style profile. You will be asked questions about your style, sizes, and other preferences. There is a place for notes to your stylist. You can also share a Pinterest board to help the stylist.
- Get your box. Soon after you sign up your box is styled and shipped to you. You can look at what is on the way or be surprised.
- Wear your clothes. You can wear the clothes as long as you want.
- Send back and repeat. When you are done with the clothes and want new ones just send your box back and the process starts over. Don’t forget to rate your box and leave any notes for your stylist so your boxes will get better and better.
Pros of The Ms. Collection
- You get to try new things you maybe wouldn’t have picked for yourself. In my first box I got a dress I loved but never would have picked because it looked better on than on a hanger.
- It’s great for weight loss. My biggest goal is reaching my goal weight this year. I don’t want to keep buying new clothes as I lose weight so it’s great to just have to update my sizes in my profile.
- You can buy the clothes for a discount. If you do love something you can keep it. The box comes with a price sheet with the retail cost and your discounted rate. It’s a great way to get some pricier pieces for less. Unlike Stitch Fix, you get to wear the clothes for a while before you decide to buy. My first box of 4 items totaled $314.50 retail and $249 member price. The second was $299 retail and $239.20 member. I request mostly business casual so a more casual box would likely cost a bit less.
- It’s more sustainable. Clothing uses a lot of resources so buying a lot of clothes is bad for the environment. Renting clothing is like sharing a closet with a lot of other women and therefore you are buying fewer clothes.
- It’s a great encouragement to get dressed every day. If you have read this blog very long you know I’m a big believer in getting dressed for the day, even if you aren’t leaving the house. Ditching yoga pants for real clothes can boost your mood and even make you more productive. Having new things to wear all of the time makes it more fun.
- They do the laundry for you. You send your clothes back dirty and they take care of the washing. If less laundry isn’t a pro I don’t know what is.
- Your stylist sends you notes. I love the note the stylist includes with why they sent what they did and other notes about the items. It feels very personal and is just a nice touch.
- They have a version for men. Most clothing rental I’ve seen is just for women, this is one service that does offer a version for men, The Mr. Collection. My husband is going to try this soon and I will be sure to share his thoughts but the idea is great.
Get 20% off of your first month of The Ms. Collection with coupon code retrohousewifestyle20
Cons of The Ms. Collection
- You don’t get to pick what goes in your box. This can be a pro because it makes you try things you wouldn’t if you were picking but it also means there is a bit more of a chance you won’t like something in your box. Since you can give your stylist notes and you rate your boxes they will get better over time as your stylist gets to know what you like. I’ve had two boxes and I liked 3 out of 4 items in both. For both, it was shirts that didn’t fit well. This is likely just because my body type can be a bit tough. I think 3 out of 4 is good for the stylist not having much feedback to work with yet. She did clearly list to my wishes.
- Insurance is an extra fee. It costs $5 a month for the Protection Plan. I do encourage you to get this for peace of mind. It covers minor tears, stains, stuck zippers, or missing buttons. If an item you send back is stained and you don’t have the plan you will be charged a small cleaning fee.
- You have to wait for them to get your box back to get a new box. With Le Tote, they start styling your box as soon as they get the notice that you shipped it back. The Ms. Collection doesn’t style the new box until they receive your box. It is still a quick process but not quite as quick as Le Tote.
- The clothes are used. This is a pro for me because it’s more environmentally friendly but some people don’t like wearing used clothing. Everything is professionally cleaned so I have no problem with it but it’s something to be aware of.
Overall I really have enjoyed The Ms. Collection. It’s a fun subscription service and I’ve loved the clothes. I would highly recommend trying it out if it’s in your budget and you are tired of your current wardrobe or just want to try new things.
Don’t forget to use coupon code retrohousewifestyle20 for 20% off your first month of The Ms. Collection.
Interested in learning more about clothing rental? Join the Clothing Rental Services Reviews Facebook group.