A smelly fridge is no one’s friend but it happens to the best of us. The best way to prevent this is to keep your fridge clean and never forget about food, but let’s be real, we will forget.
Cleaning out the fridge is likely my least favorite chore. I always end up grossed out and feeling guilty about something we forgot to eat. Something always gets pushed to the back and forgotten, no matter how hard I try to avoid it.
Simple baking soda works well for most odors but this deodorizer works even better and leaves a nice fresh citrus smell. And it’s very simple to make.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. I was not paid for this post and all thoughts are my own.
Citrus Fridge Deodorizer
You’ll need just a few supplies.
- 1/4 cup of baking soda (more if your container is bigger)
- 10 drops of orange essential oil
- small glass jar (I used a 4 ounce jar)
- cheesecloth or other breathable fabric
- Fill your container with baking soda and add 10 drops of orange essential oil. If you have a larger container you can use more oil. Mix well.
- Cut a piece of cheesecloth or whatever fabric you are using to cover the top.
- Put the fabric on the jar, either with a rubber band or the metal ring from the lid.
- Stick in your fridge and replace monthly.
That’s it. It’s also cuter than a plain box of baking soda in your fridge. You can try other citrus essential oils as well. I really like lime as well.
When you refill your jar be sure not to waste the baking soda. Put it in your drain and follow with a bit of vinegar to help flush out your drain and leave it smelling fresh.
You can set these around your home as well to help with odors. They are great to stick in your closet next to your shoes. The ideas are endless.
So do you hate cleaning your fridge? What’s the grossest thing you have found? Anything that has molded is always so gross to me. I hate mold.