Want to lose weight like a 50’s Housewife? The 50’s housewife workout is something you can do to not only lose weight but also have a cleaner home!
The last several years I have a gained weight and I need to lose it. I don’t eat fast food, rarely drink soda or any of those kinds of things that people quit and drop 10 pounds overnight. I find when I count calories I often struggle to eat enough. I’m not a big eater. I do eat too many sweets but less than most people.
I have found over the years that to lose weight I have to exercise. Finding the time and energy has been proving to be very hard. I know that if I want to stick with something it’s going to have to fit my schedule. One thing I want to do is swim laps twice a week. I have Fibromyalgia and swimming is gentle on my muscles, it also is a recommended form of exercise for asthmatics.
The other thing I want to do is keep a cleaner and nicer home. As I talked about in my last blog, I feel a bit like I’m failing in the housewife department lately. So why not kill two birds with one stone?!
I was reading an article in Daily Mail (which I do not recommend as a news source but since this was just a fluff piece I’m not as worried about sources) about how 1950’s housewives stayed thin. They weren’t spending hours in the gym or drinking meal replacers. They were just active. According to a study, by the woman’s magazine Prima, they burned more than 1,000 calories a day doing housework and such. Now we burn just around 560.
Losing Weight With a 50’s Housewife Workout
This is where my new, fancy, workout plan comes in. I want to spend less time online and more time cleaning. I know that if my house is nice and neat I will feel happier and I will be burning more calories.
I don’t plan on getting rid of the gadgets that are part of why we burn fewer calories but instead I just want to clean more. I also want to get back to cooking and baking more. We still don’t eat a lot of packaged food but more than we did for a while.
Like I said I still want to try to swim twice a week and I want to do some yoga each day for stress relief, flexibility and to help my chronic health problems. I will also try to use the WiiFit when I don’t make it swim. However, I have no plans to go on some strict, everyday exercise plan. I know right now that will not fit in my schedule and I will fail. So time for another 1950’s housewife experiment.
Tips for Losing Weight the 50’s Housewife Way
- Vacuum more often. Vacuuming is good exercise and it is a chore many people are starting to do less often. Vacuuming often is better for our allergies and overall health, especially if you have pets.
- Cook from scratch. Cooking from scratch is often better for us, tastes better, and uses more labor so you burn more calories.
- Start a garden. Gardening is a great form of exercise and can be pretty rewarding. You can start a flower or vegetable garden.
- Use a clothesline. Clotheslines save money and help your clothes last longer. It also gets you moving and some vitamin D.
- Do some spring cleaning. Spring cleaning is becoming a thing of the past but it’s a great way to get those seasonal tasks done and burn some calories at the same time.
In general, the key is to get moving and clean more. If you are able to add in enough activity you may need less time in the gym and you will be getting two tasks down at once.
Additional Vintage Lifestyle Posts
- Ditch the Yoga Pants, Embrace the House Dress
- Building a Vintage Inspired Wardrobe
- How to Be a Good Wife: Good Wife’s Guide Modernized
Want to read even more about my life and how I try to incorporation vintage things in my life? Sign up below for my newsletter.