Being zero waste at home is challenging, it can be even more challenging when you are away from home. These tips can help you be zero waste or at least low waste.
I’m far from zero waste, I used to do a better job than I have lately. Getting busy and putting my physical and mental health first has meant more shortcuts and more waste.
I want to get back to trying to reduce my waste more. It’s all about habits, I was in these habits before but got out of the habits over time.
Don’t expect yourself to be perfect, especially when you start. Every piece of waste you avoid adds up. Pick one or two things you want to replace with reusable options and build from there.
How to be Zero Waste While Out
When we go out there are so many ways we can end up with waste. Coffee cups, napkins, plastic cutlery, water bottles, etc… it all adds up so quickly. These tips will help you reduce some of that waste.
- When you get coffee at the coffee shop ask if they have real mugs. You can also bring your own insulated coffee mug in case they don’t have real mugs or to take your coffee with you.
- Don’t have a reusable mug with you on-the-go? At least skip the plastic coffee plug.
- Skip the straw or carry your own glass straw or stainless steel straw.
- Bring a reusable water bottle and use that in place of soda or a disposable bottle of water.
- Going somewhere that uses disposable utensils? Bring your own reusable utensils.
- Bring a cloth napkin. This is convent to have with you even if you don’t need it for food.
- Bring your own container for leftovers.
- Pack a lunch using reusable containers instead of getting lunch out. This is also better for you.
- Carry a reusable bag with you. You never know when you may stop somewhere to buy something. You can also carry some of your reusable items with you in the bag.
These simple tips will help you reduce waste and also sometimes save you money and are better for your health. Reducing waste always means I eat less food out which is always a good thing.
Have more tips on how to be zero waste while out? Share in the comments below.