Discover the step-by-step guide to launching a successful homemaking blog that not only shares your passion but also generates income from the comfort of your home. Learn how to choose your niche, create engaging content, and leverage online platforms for a profitable homemaking blogging journey.
You likely know someone that has a blog or has had a blog. It seems like a decade ago or so everyone had a blog. I started this blog back in 2008 and at that time a large number of my friends were blogging.
At that time blogs were really just online journals our friends read. For me, it wasn’t until around 2012 that I figured out I could turn my blog into a profitable business.
Now my homemaking blog earns me a full-time income and I’ve since started 4 other blogs. I love blogging and it’s been a really great way for me to share my passions from home.
If you are passionate about homemaking a homemaking blog may be a good fit for you as well. We are going to talk through how to start a blog and start making an income. This guide will help you decide if starting a homemaking blog is a good idea for you.
Finding Your Homemaking Blog Niche
There is a wide range of homemaking-type blogs. Mine is focused on vintage homemaking but there are also homesteading blogs, organizing blogs, cleaning blogs, and others that all fall under the homemaking niche.
When trying to decide what niche your blog will fall under there are a few things to consider:
- Passion and Expertise: Select a homemaking niche that aligns with your genuine interests and expertise. Writing about topics you are passionate about will keep you motivated and engaged, and your authentic voice will resonate with your audience.
- Market Demand: Research the market demand for different homemaking niches. Look for areas where people are seeking advice, solutions, and inspiration. A niche with a substantial audience and search volume can offer better growth opportunities.
- Uniqueness and Differentiation: Consider what sets your homemaking blog apart from others. Is there a unique angle, perspective, or approach you can offer within your chosen niche? Differentiating yourself will help you stand out in a crowded blogging landscape.
- Long-Term Sustainability: Evaluate the longevity and sustainability of your chosen niche. Homemaking is a broad field, but some trends may be short-lived. Opt for a niche that has timeless appeal and the potential for evergreen content.
- Personal Connection: Choose a niche that allows you to connect with your audience on a personal level. Sharing your own experiences, challenges, and triumphs can create a strong bond with your readers and make your content more relatable.
Remember, your homemaking blog niche should reflect your passions, expertise, and the needs of your target audience. Finding the right balance between what you love and what your readers are looking for will set the foundation for a successful and fulfilling blogging journey.
Setting Up Your Homemaking Blog
There are several steps to setting up your blog. This is an overview of what steps you want to take when starting your blog.
Choosing a Domain Name
Your domain name is your blog’s online address, so make it memorable and reflective of your homemaking niche. Consider a name that’s catchy, easy to spell, and relevant to the content you’ll be sharing. A domain name that resonates with your audience can leave a lasting impression and encourage repeat visits.
Most of my domain names have been purchased through Google Domains but they have been sold to Squarespace and I’ve not had experience with Squarespace for domain names yet. Another place I have used for domain names is Namecheap. I have been happy with my experience with that company so far.
Selecting a Blogging Platform and Host Company
I recommend using WordPress.org as your blogging platform. It’s what all of my blogs are built on and it’s the industry standard. It’s also open source so it’s free to use.
You will need a website host to actually have your website on when you use WordPress.org. There are a lot of options out there but the one I’ve used for over a decade is GreenGeeks.
It’s affordable and I appreciate their commitment to the environment. Their plans start at just $2.95 a month so it’s an affordable way to get started blogging.
Designing Your Blog
A visually appealing and user-friendly design is essential for keeping visitors engaged. Select a clean and organized layout that complements your homemaking theme. Use a consistent color scheme, typography, and imagery to create a cohesive and inviting atmosphere. A well-designed blog enhances readability and encourages visitors to explore your content further.
This site is using the Niche theme from my friend Victoria at Blogging with Victoria. I’m also using the Niche theme on Green Oklahoma, The Stress-Free Christmas, and The Stress-Free Halloween. It’s a great theme with amazing support.
Crafting Your Brand
Establishing a strong brand identity helps your homemaking blog stand out and builds trust with your audience. Create a logo, choose a signature color palette, and define a consistent tone of voice for your content. Your brand should reflect the essence of your homemaking niche and resonate with the values and preferences of your target readers.
I created my logos and a lot of my branding using Canva. There is a free plan but I recommend getting the paid plan because Canva is a really powerful blogging tool that I use every day.
Related Post: A Beginner’s Guide to Creating a Blog
Creating Compelling Homemaking Content
Once your blog is up and running it’s time to write blog posts that provide value and solutions to your readers. Break down complex homemaking tasks into easy-to-follow steps, and use a conversational tone to make your content approachable. Use headings, bullet points, and subheadings to enhance readability, and conclude each post with a clear call to action or takeaway.
Related Post: Creating Amazing Content
You will want to share your personal experiences, insights, and homemaking journey to create a genuine connection with your audience. Offer practical advice and actionable tips that stem from your expertise. Authenticity is key in building trust and establishing yourself as a reliable source of homemaking wisdom.
Related Post: Say Goodbye to Write’s Block
Building Your Homemaking Blog Audience
Leveraging Social Media
Harness the power of popular social media platforms like Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook to promote your homemaking blog. Create engaging and shareable content, use relevant hashtags, and interact with your audience to build a loyal following.
Visual platforms like Instagram and Pinterest are particularly effective for showcasing homemaking projects, DIY ideas, and inspirational images.
Related Post: Creating a Social Media Strategy
Networking with Fellow Homemaking Bloggers
Connect with other homemaking bloggers and influencers in your niche. Collaborate on guest posts, joint projects, or social media takeovers to cross-promote each other’s content. Networking not only expands your reach but also introduces your blog to a wider audience that shares your interests.
You can connect with other bloggers in my Facebook group Bloggers’ Coffee Hour. We also have a monthly Zoom call to network and grow with each other.
Capturing Email Subscribers
Develop a strong email marketing strategy to grow your audience and establish direct communication with your readers. Offer valuable incentives, such as free e-books, printables, or homemaking guides, in exchange for email subscriptions. Use automated email sequences to nurture your subscribers, deliver exclusive content, and keep them engaged.
Related Post: How to Get Started with Email Marketing
By effectively leveraging social media, networking with fellow homemakers, and building a robust email subscriber list, you’ll amplify your blog’s visibility and create a dedicated community of readers who are eager to engage with your homemaking content.
Monetizing Your Homemaking Blog
Now on to one of the fun parts, monetization! There are many ways that you can make money through your blog. These are a few of my favorite ways:
- Affiliate Marketing: Recommending products and earning commissions through affiliate programs.
- Sponsored Content: Collaborating with brands for sponsored posts and partnerships.
- Creating Digital Products: Developing and selling e-books, printables, or online courses. You can see my shop to see the digital products I currently sell.
- Display Advertising: Incorporating display ads to generate passive income. I currently use Raptive on this site. They do have page view requirements that can take some time to meet but are great once you do. Google Adsense is an option for sites with lower page views.
- Providing Services: Offering homemaking-related services, consultations, or coaching. This isn’t something I do for this site but on Lisa Sharp Creative I offer private blog coaching.
- Membership Sites: I offer two different memberships on this site, one is the Retro Homemakers Club and the other is my ad-free membership. There are so many ways to create memberships on your site to increase your income and connect with your readers.
Don’t feel like you need to use all of these ways to monetize your site, especially when starting out. Picking one area at a time is a great way to keep growing your income.
Now that you have a general idea of how to start a homemaking blog it’s time to get started. You can learn more about content creation on Lisa Sharp Creative.
And don’t forget to join 100s of other bloggers to connect and grow in the Bloggers’ Coffee Hour Facebook group.