These sugar cookies with peppermint icing are soft and fluffy and absolutely delicious with the festive peppermint-flavored icing. They are perfect for your holiday parties.
There is so much hype around pumpkin spice but the season I love is peppermint season. I get so excited when all the limited edition peppermint treats start to come out.
I also tend to use peppermint in a lot of my holiday basking. Something about peppermint just puts me in a very festive and happy mood.
I really enjoy chocolate or white chocolate with peppermint but sometimes it’s nice to mix that up. Since one of my favorite cookies to make during the holidays is sugar cookies I figured that would be a great way to use peppermint with something that isn’t chocolate.
These sugar cookies are so simple to make and come out nice and fluffy and soft. I’ve had several people that aren’t big sugar cookie fans tell me that they like these. They are one of my go-to cookies for holiday gatherings and they always get a lot of compliments.
While the sugar cookies plain or with just some sprinkles are delicious, adding peppermint icing takes them up a notch. And the icing is so simple to make that it doesn’t add much time at all.
I like to make the icing while the cookies are in the oven. I stick it in the fridge and then once the cookies are fully cooled I put the icing on them and add some festive sprinkles. You could also add crushed candy canes on top.
You can leave the icing white or add food coloring. For my sprinkles and food coloring if I’m using it I prefer to use natural options. This is also nice when baking for kids since some studies have shown food coloring to cause hyperactivity.
I find my natural sprinkles and food coloring at Whole Foods or Natural Candy Store. You can find a good selection at both places. Local natural food stores often carry both as well.
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 4-6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Preheat oven to 375
- In a small bowl mix together flour, baking powder, and baking soda set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth.
Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Gradually add dry ingredients.
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes or until just starting to get golden. DO NOT OVERBAKE! These cookies are only soft if you don’t over bake them.
- Let the cookies cool before icing.
- Whisk the powdered sugar, 4 tablespoons heavy cream, and peppermint extract together.
- If needed add more heavy cream. If it gets to thin add more powdered sugar.
- If you are dying the icing add it now.
- If not using the icing right away, cover and store icing in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- This recipe is for drop cookies. You can also cut them out but be sure to chill the dough for at least an hour first.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 110Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 64mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 0gSugar: 11gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
More Peppermint Flavored Christmas Recipes
- Peppermint White Hot Chocolate
- Easy Peppermint Ice Cream
- White Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn
- Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies
Don’t forget to add this recipe to your Christmas Recipe Book so you will always know where to find it!