I love sugar cookie dough because you can do so many things with it. I already have posted three different cookies you can make from this dough and this is a forth one I came up with this year. I took it to a Christmas party last week and it was a huge hit, everyone was raving about them.
Sugar Cookie Dough
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375?
- In a small bowl mix together flour, baking powder, and baking soda, set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Gradually add dry ingredients.
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes or until just starting to get golden. DO NOT OVER BAKE! These cookies are only soft if you don’t over bake them.
- Let the cookies cool before icing.
This icing is as easy as it gets. Just mix some powdered sugar (the amount depends on how many cookies you are making, I always start with a bit less than I think I need, you can make more if you need to), just enough water to make it in to a thick icing, it doesn’t take much! Once you have that mixed up start adding the peppermint oil, for about a 1/2 cup of icing I started with 1/8 of a teaspoon of peppermint flavor and added more (just a drop at a time, it’s strong!) until I got the right amount of peppermint. I also added a little bit of natural food coloring but this is optional, you could also add sprinkles or crushed organic candy canes. Once it’s mixed just ice your cooled cookies, let them sit so the icing hardens and you are all done!
The picture in this post is of just a plain iced sugar cookie because I didn’t have time to take one of the peppermint cookies.