When doing your Christmas shopping consider shopping locally. Shopping locally helps your community in many ways.
Research showed that Americans are planning to spend an average of $983 this year for Christmas. That’s up from $929 last year. That’s a lot of money and that money could be doing more good for our communities.
Shopping locally can make a big impact in your community. Even if you only shift part of your budget you can make a difference. Here are eight reasons you should shop locally this holiday season.
9 Reasons to Shop Locally This Holiday Season
- Keeps More Money in Your Community– Sales tax helps fund vital services in our communities, when we shop locally we help keep these services funded. Local businesses also are more likely to spend money locally, keeping even more, money in your community.
- Creates More Jobs– If every American spent $64 on something made in America, we could create 200,000 jobs.
- Creates a Diverse Community– Shopping locally encourages people to start businesses that are unique and provide alternatives to national chain stores.
- Better for the Environment- Buying locally made products at local stores cuts down on transportation and packaging.
- Connect with Your Community- When you shop locally you can connect with people in your community and learn about events and other local happenings.
- Support for Non-Profits– Studies have shown that non-profits receive 250 percent more support from small businesses than larger businesses.
- Better Customer Service – Local businesses owners are passionate about their businesses and services. This often contributes to better and more personal customer service.
- Helps Your Community Grow – Keeping tax dollars in your community and creating demand will help encourage new businesses and help your city grow. It can also encourage people to move to your community.
- You Can Find Unique Gifts– Find a local store that carries unique products for artisans and you can get gifts that are unique and not mass produced.
Pledging to just spend $100 locally can help keep more money in your community. When ordering online consider buying made in the USA products and handmade items from places like Etsy and Amazon Handmade. This can help local communities as well.