Peanut butter cookies are a classic cookie that doesn’t get enough love these days. This updated peanut butter cookie recipe is the best you will try.
When I was a toddler my mom went to nursing school. During that time I stayed with my grandma. We had a lot of fun. My days usually involved watching Dumbo and playing with a vintage wooden circus toy.
The other thing we did often was bake and our favorite thing to bake was peanut butter cookies. I’m sure I baked many dozens of batches of peanut butter cookies with my grandma.
They still are my favorite cookies and I can’t eat one without remembering standing in my grandma’s kitchen on a vintage red stool helping her make the peanut butter cookies from the cookbook she got when she got married.
A few years ago my grandma gave me her cookbook with the peanut butter cookie recipe. It is one of my most treasured possessions.
The cookbook is taped together and falling apart but it’s full of memories. The peanut butter cookie recipe has a note that says “Lisa & Nana yummm!” It makes me smile every time I use the cookbook.
I use a slightly different recipe now because the one in the cookbook has shortening and I have to substitute the peanut butter for sunflower seed butter. But they are just as good! I’ve even made them for my grandma and she said they were just as good as the ones we made if not better.
Don’t forget to make the fork crisscrosses, it’s not really a peanut butter cookie without them and it was my favorite part as a kid.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375?F.
- Cream butter until soft and smooth. Add the sugars and cream again.
- Mix in the peanut butter and an egg.
- Mix together the dry ingredients. Stir into the wet ingredients.
- Roll dough into balls and place on cookie sheet. Flatten the cookies a bit and use a fork to make crisscross patterns.
- Bake until light brown, about 9 to 10 minutes.
- These cookies are very soft so let them cool for a couple of minutes on the cookie sheet before moving to a cooling rack.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 125Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 137mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 0gSugar: 8gProtein: 1g
These nutritional facts are estimated.