Do you have a smelly carpet? Try this homemade natural carpet freshener. It smells great, works, and doesn’t have any nasty toxic chemicals.
Making your own homemade natural carpet freshener is simple, reduces the toxic chemicals in your home, and can also save you money. And one of my favorite parts is being able to make whatever scent I want.
I love creating different scents. I usually switch them up seasonally. This is my favorite scent for spring. It smells fresh and clean. I love the way the house smells after I vacuum with this.
I like to use an orange spice scent during fall, a peppermint scent for winter, and a summer citrus scent during the summer. They all smell amazing.
The Danger of Carpet Fresheners
Carpet fresheners on the market normally contain synthetic fragrances. Synthetic fragrance is not an ingredient but a group of ingredients that companies don’t have to disclose. They often include harmful ingredients that have been shown to cause a number of health concerns.
Another harmful ingredient found in many carpet fresheners is benzyl benzoate. The European Union has found benzyl benzoate to be a possible human immune system toxicant or allergen and wildlife and environmental toxicant. It is also possibly an endocrine disrupter.
- 1 glass jar with a metal lid with holes
- 1 metal with no holes
- optional: label or washi tape
- To add holes to your jar lid, carefully use a hammer and nail to poke holes. This step is optional, you can just sprinkle carefully without a lid.
- Pour the baking soda into your jar.
- Add essential oils and shake well. Add more if you want it stronger.
- To use sprinkle over the carpet, allow to sit for at least 15 minutes, and vacuum normally.
The Benefit of Essential Oils
Essential oils have a lot of benefits when it comes to cleaning. I love using essential oils when making homemade cleaners. I have quite a collection at this point so I can create all kinds of fun scent combinations.
- Great and safer scent. Essential oils are a great way to add scent to your homemade cleaners. The aroma of essential oils can help boost your mood and keep your home smelling great. It’s much safer than using artificial scents
- Natural Disinfection. Several essential oils have been shown to have disinfecting properties. This makes them perfect for cleaners.
OTHER WAYS TO DEODORIZE YOUR HOME
More Green Living Resources