Want to make fun and healthy treats for your dog? These pumpkin dog treats are easy to make and great for your dog’s digestive system. Wayfair is also a big fan of dogs and so they were kind enough to sponsor this post.
I try to make sure I’m feeding my dog high-quality dog food so of course, I want to make sure her treats are also good quality. So many dog treats are full of questionable ingredients. I buy higher quality treats for her often but I thought it would also be fun to make her some from scratch.
Just like with people you get more control over the quality when you make things yourself. It is also can be a lot cheaper. The recipe made enough to almost fill my 7 cups Pyrex container. Using organic ingredients the whole batch cost less than $5 and if you get the oats in bulk you can save even more.
One of the things I really like about this recipe is it’s good for dogs with sensitive stomachs. Many dogs don’t digest wheat very well and that’s a common ingredient in many packaged and homemade dog treats. That’s part of why I wanted to create treats that didn’t have wheat and use oats instead. Pumpkin is also great for dogs, it’s packed full of fiber. Most dogs also love it.
To make these treats I used quick oats since they are already smaller it’s really easy to turn them into a flour. I just ran the oats through my blender, you don’t need to worry about it being perfect, bigger pieces of oats are fine.
You can mix the mixture by hand or with a stand mixer. I found it mixed easy enough by hand that I just did that. They took me no time at all to make.
While you can just roll these into balls it’s far more fun to make cute shapes. I found some very cute dog-themed cookie cutters on Wayfair and knew I had to use them. I had no idea Wayfair had so many pet-related products. I have my eye on several items right now.
This pumpkin dog treats recipe last about a week in the fridge. I like to freeze them and pull out a few at a time. During the hot months, cool treats are a great way to help your dog cool off.
Homemade Pumpkin Dog Treats
- 4 cups oats (quick or regular)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Make a flour by grinding the oats down in a food processor or blender.
- Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add egg and canned pumpkin to the bowl and mix well to combine.
- The mixture should be thick and slightly sticky. Add a bit more oat flour if too sticky.
- Dust your surface lightly with oat flour or use wax paper.
- Roll dough out to about 1/2 an inch thick and cut out shapes for the treats.
- Place on a cookie sheet greased with refined coconut oil or lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for approximately 7-15 minutes depending on how large your treats are. They are done when golden and crispy.
- Allow to cool and transfer to an airtight container. Store in the fridge for a week or freeze.
Be sure to check out my other popular homemade dog treat recipe!