Early in my marriage I had a lot more free time. I was a full time homemaker with few other responsibilities. I was able to take care of all of the house work very easily and it left my Fridays free. I would often spend the day baking and freezer cooking. My goal is to get organized enough to get back to this but for now that’s not something I have time for.
One of the things that we get a lot less often these days is homemade bread. I love fresh, warm homemade bread but it is very time consuming. Worth it when you can find the time but it has been awhile since I had that amount of time for baking.
Even with less time I still want to make delicious, real food and I like to include bread sometimes. My answer for this? Quick breads. Quick breads are breads leavened with leavening agents other than yeast. Some common quick breads are banana bread, pancakes, and biscuits.
The most popular quick bread in my house is cheese bread. What’s not to love, cheese and fresh bread! Two of my favorite things together in one dish, yum.
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- Preheat oven to 400' and lightly grease loaf pan.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cheese.
- In a large bowl, beat egg, milk and oil.
- Stir flour and cheese mixture into the egg mixture, stir until moist.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.