Need help reaching your goals? These goal setting tips have helped me actually achieve many of my goals each year.
I love new years, it’s a fresh start. The past two years have been pretty stressful and I’ve had a lot of health concerns, so I’m ready for a fresh start!
It may be cliche to set goals for the new year but it really is a perfect time. You can look back at the last year and think about what you liked and what you want to change.
It’s easy to come up with goals but hard to stick with them. This is often because we set too many goals or too big of goals. It’s easy to get excited about the new year and come up with a long list of goals that are impossible to meet. That often leaves us feeling very discouraged and giving up completely. This year take a different approach to goal setting.
4 Steps to Better Goal Setting
- Be realistic. Think about how much time you will have to put into something to meet your goal(s). Do you have that much time? There are only 24 hours in a day. And a year seems like a long time but it still may not be long enough for your goal, it may have to start out a bit smaller.
- Break your goals down to bite size pieces. Monthly goals can be a bit easier to handle and meet. It’s also rewarding to meet your goal and can encourage you to keep working on the others. Weekly goals can even be helpful for somethings.
- Plan your resources. We all need help sometimes and meeting goals is often one of those times. One of my big focuses this year is my health. As I prepare my goals I’m looking into resources that will help me be healthier. There are so many great resources out there for all our goals, we should use them!
- Know how you will meet your goals. A game plan is important. Saying “I’m going to lose 20 pounds” is great but how are you going to do that? Will you work out three times a week? Change your diet? Having a plan for how you will meet your goals is a great way to set yourself up for success.
I will be remembering these three things as I plan my goals. I’m going to write down my goals and a detailed game plan for how I will meet them in my Happy Planner. I plan to look at them often and make sure I’m staying on track.
I also am setting up some rewards for myself. I have saved some money to buy some new clothes when I reach my weight loss goal and plan to come up with rewards for other goals as well. A little extra motivation never hurts.
Resources for Meeting Your Goals
I also want to share some of the resources I’m using this year for my goals. Like I said, having resources to help with your goals is so important.
- Make Over Your Morning eCourse. Setting your day up well will help with so many goals. I’ve gone through this course once and I’m starting it again because I feel I can learn even more from it. Until January 8th you can get it on sale for only $9, trust me it’s worth it.
- Make Over Your Year eCourse. This is the new course from Crystal Paine, the creator of the Make Over Your Mornings course. I just ordered it and can not wait to start it. It’s a course that will help you stop being so overwhelmed and reach your dreams. Crystal Paine is a great teacher and very inspirational so I’m sure the course will be amazing.
- A good planner. It doesn’t matter if it’s paper, digital, or a mix. A good planner will help you stay on track. Make sure to plan the time you need to put into your goals.
Following these easy steps and using some of these resources can really help you meet your goals this year. And as always, give yourself grace. None of us are perfect if you have a set back just dust yourself off and start again. We are all a work in progress.
Sign up below for my newsletter to get even more goal setting tips this year.