Make homemade mini chocolate donuts in just 7 minutes! This recipe is for einkorn donuts but can easily be made using regular flour and can even be made dairy-free.
Originally shared by Victoria of A Modern Homestead on September 25th, 2015.
Hi y’all! I’m so excited to be here on Retro Housewife Goes Green. I have a great Einkorn flour recipe that I can’t wait to share with you.
Do you ever have a recipe that you love, but you know you have to pace yourself or you’ll end up making it way too often? Like this homemade cracker recipe from the Retro Housewife herself.
A few weeks ago I made a no-eggs, no-dairy chocolate cake for my husband’s birthday that was an immediate hit! Seriously, we had to make a pact to not have it again for at least a week or two.
Flash forward two weeks later. The cake is gone, and our pact is intact, but we were both hit with a serious craving! But it was 7:30 am… chocolate cake isn’t the best thing for breakfast, so I hear. So I tweaked the recipe a bit and made these delicious einkorn mini chocolate donuts. In all honesty, this recipe is made with real ingredients and makes a great mid-week treat!
I used this mini donut maker, but you can make them in the oven if you have a mini donut pan. My husband was thrilled with just a few of these for breakfast, so we ended up having enough left over to have them for dessert a few times as well!
If you want to skip the mini donut maker and have yeast donuts, try this einkorn yeast donuts recipe.
Also if you’re not used to using einkorn, this recipe will work just fine with regular (modern) wheat. To make it dairy-free simply use a butter alternative.
- 1 1/2 cup einkorn flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup room temperature water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Splash of vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup water
For the Donuts
- Heat the donut maker.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda, mix well.
- Add melted butter, vanilla, and water. Mix until well combined.
- Add apple cider vinegar, stirring well to make sure there are no lumps in the batter.
- Pour batter into donut maker and bake according to maker's instructions.
For the Icing
- Combine powdered sugar and cocoa powder in large mixing bowl.
- Add vanilla extract and butter.
- Gradually add water, stirring well to combine until icing reaches the right consistency for spreading.
- While the donuts are still hot, place them face down in the icing.
- Twist the donut gently until the top is completely covered with icing.
- Gently lift the donut out of the icing and place on cooling rack.
You can replace the einkorn flour with regular flour.
More Information on Einkorn
Are you new to einkorn flour? Victoria has all the details you need on einkorn. You can head over to A Modern Homestead for einkorn recipes and information.
“Einkorn wheat is the only wheat that has never been hybridized! It is the ORIGINAL wheat! It is also higher in protein and is far easier to digest than other wheat varieties.” – All About Einkorn Wheat
Victoria writes about bringing the homesteading mindset of days gone by into the modern age on her blog AModernHomestead.com. She talks about making great food from scratch with real ingredients, forgotten crafting skills, and how to save your family big money. Stop by and tell her hi!