Need a new planner but don’t want to spend much money or can’t find one you love? A DIY planner may be the way to go. Made with free printables it’s a very affordable planner option.
For the last couple of years, I’ve used a Happy Planner and I’m now also using a PurpleTrail planner for my blog. I love both but in the past, I’ve also made my own DIY planner.
It’s a great option if you can’t find a planner you like or they cost too much. You can use free printables or even buy some printables. Even if you buy printables since you can use them over and over again it’s still a cheaper option.
Make a DIY Planner
To make the DIY planner I simply used a three-ring binder I already owned and covered it with some cute scrapbook paper. I keep most of the pages in page protectors and just punch holes in the ones I need to update on a regular basis.
This is a look at how I had my DIY planner set up when I was still using it.
- Birthday & Anniversary Calendar- This is where I kept track of birthdays and anniversaries from year-to-year so I could add them to my calendar each year. (The one I had doesn’t seem to be available anymore.)
- Monthly Calendar Pages– On these pages, I put appointments, events, birthdays, holidays, and other reminders.
- Weekly Calendar Pages– On these pages, I list my to-dos, things I can’t forget, errands, and phone calls I need to make for the week.
- Habit Tracker– This is a great place to keep track of any habits you want to create.
- Meal Planning– I had just used sheets of paper for this, which works if you want a free option, but now I use my grocery shopping printable pack.
- Freezer Cooking– This was great when I did a lot of freezer cooking.
- Cleaning Schedule- This has my daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and semi-annual/annual cleaning schedules. (This is being updated and will be available to print soon!)
- Cleaning Recipes- I make most of my own cleaners so I keep my recipes here for when I need to make more. (This is being updated and will be available to print soon!)
- Project To-Do List– I used this a lot of the projects we had going on around the house.
- I’m now using a different planner for this. I will share soon.
These aren’t free but they are very affordable and you only buy them once so you can use them year after year without an additional cost.
- Christmas Planner– I created my own Christmas planner and now have it available for you to purchase.
- Thanksgiving Planner– I cook a big Thanksgiving meal each year so this is very important. I created my own and now it’s available to you as well.
- Halloween Planner– This is especially useful if you are planning a Halloween party.
- Easter Menu Planner– This is another meal I try to plan ahead for this sheet helps a lot. And this page is free.
Not interested in creating your own DIY planner? Check out this list of planners for every budget. There are some great options out there for all budgets.