Start Christmas Eve Traditions with your partner this year. It’s a great way to connect during the busy holiday season and enjoy the holidays more.
I’m a big fan of traditions. They give you something to look forward to and they really put me in the holiday mood. I have traditions with my family, myself, and my husband.
Most Christmas Eve traditions seem to focus on the whole family, which is great but having traditions with just your partner is fun and important as well. It can be so easy to get caught up in the busyness of the holiday season and forget to spend enough time together. Taking a bit of time on Christmas Eve just for yourselves can help you re-connect.
For myself and my husband, Christmas Eve is extra important as it’s our dating anniversary. While we do spend time with family on Christmas Eve, we try to also make time for each other.
If you aren’t sure what kinds of traditions to start you can check out this list. Use the ideas on the list or just use them as inspiration for your own. Your tradition can be sweet, silly, romantic, or all of the above. Traditions don’t last if they are forced, so find what works for you and your partner, it may take some trial and error.
Christmas Eve Traditions for Couples
- Movie in Bed. Curl up in bed and watch one of your favorite Christmas movies together. You can also sip on some champagne or hot chocolate.
- Sexy Stockings. Fill stockings for each other with things that maybe aren’t so family-friendly. Also, include a sweet love note.
- Exchange Ornaments. Give each other ornaments that represent a memory from that year or something you love about your partner.
- Bake a Sweet Treat. Make and decorate some Christmas cookies. Or maybe decorate a gingerbread house. You could also bake something that will be nice for a morning treat for the whole family.
- Look at the Christmas Lights. My husband and I do this each Christmas Eve. We drive around with some Christmas music playing and just look at some of the light displays around town. It’s a cheap and easy tradition but one that we both love. One year it was snowing and icy, I was sad because I thought we were going to have to skip. However, my husband had me bundle up and we drove very slowly across the street where there are some lights. It was a shorter trip but it was still special. You can even do a Christmas light scavenger hunt.
- Exchange a Meaningful Gift. Opening gifts on Christmas can end up being a big blur of excitement. Save one special gift each to be opened on Christmas Eve, just the two of you. It can help make those gifts even more special.
- Cook Dinner Together. Order a Blue Apron box and cook one of the meals together. You can then enjoy the meal while watching a Christmas TV special.
- Set up a Hot Cocoa Bar. Make up some hot cocoa and have lots of fun toppings. Once you create your delicious drinks curl up on the sofa in front of your Christmas tree and enjoy your time together.
Get Even More Christmas Date Night Ideas
Keep the holiday magic going all season long by having several Christmas date nights. You can get a free checklist of ideas you can use and even add some of your own to the list.
I like to keep this list in my Christmas planner so it’s ready to go every holiday season. If we aren’t sure what we want to do on a date night I check it out and get inspired again.
These are just a few ideas to get you started. Some of the best traditions are the ones that start naturally. Even if you have no plan be sure to set aside a bit of time to spend with your partner this Christmas Eve.
If you are unable to be together Christmas Eve, make your own Christmas Eve on whatever day you can be together. The important thing is time together.
More Christmas Inspiration
Keep track of your favorite Christmas traditions in your Christmas planner to make sure you don’t forget which you want to keep going.