I love to drink lots of hot drinks during the holidays. While tea is my favorite hot drink, I do enjoy coffee from time to time and this is one of my favorite ways to drink it.
- 1/2 cup strong hot coffee
- 1/2 cup of milk (a little less if frothing the milk)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Brew coffee. I recommend a using a french press.
- While the coffee brews heat your milk, add the cocoa powder and sugar. Don’t let boil.
- Once the milk is heated and everything is well mixed, if you are frothing it go ahead and do so.
- If possible, pour the milk and coffee into the cup at the same time.
This can be made sweeter or less sweet depending on your taste. I highly recommend frothing the milk, it really does make a difference. You can get a milk frother for under $20 on Amazon. Some people may call this a mocha but mocha should be made with espresso so this is really just a chocolate version of café au lait , which is my favorite coffee drink. It’s a great drink for the holidays, you can even add a little bit of peppermint extract for an extra treat.