Muffins are a great make-ahead breakfast. They freeze well and are easy when you need something you can just grab. These banana crumb muffins are a delicious treat that you can even serve as a dessert.
This recipe is actually the first recipe I ever shared on this blog. I hadn’t made these in a while and had some bananas I needed to use so it seemed like the perfect thing to make.
I wanted to update this post and add some photos and share it with you again because these muffins are amazing. They are the fluffiest muffins I’ve made.
I started making these muffins while my husband was teaching. He taught at a school about 30 minutes away and got up before I did in the morning. This was something I could make ahead and he could grab and eat on the go.
I would normally make them and keep a few out and freeze the rest. I would pull one out the night before and have it sitting out for him to take with him.
Now my husband works from home so I don’t need to have quick breakfasts so it had been so long since we had these. After eating one I remembered how delicious they are and I will be making them more often again.
How to Make Banana Crumb Muffins
Step 1- Make Homemade Bisquick
You can just use a box of Bisquick to make these banana crumb muffins but you can also make your own homemade Bisquick which has fewer ingredients and is even better.
All you need is flour, butter, baking powder, sugar, and salt and you make your own baking mix in no time. I love to keep this in the fridge for a lot of different recipes including these Bisquick banana muffins.
If you want to try this out you can get the recipe for homemade Bisquick right here on the blog.
Step 2- Mix Everything
Now this is step is pretty tough, put everything in a bowl and mix it. Yes, that’s all. You don’t need multiple bowls or to mix things one at a time, you can just mix it all at once.
Step 3- Fill Your Muffin Pan
Now you just need to fill your muffin pan with the muffin mixture. I like to use an ice cream scoop to do this because it helps you get the same amount for each muffin.
Step 4- Crumb Topping and Bake
The best part of these muffins is the delicious topping. It’s just brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter but on top of these banana muffins, it’s so good!
After you have the sugar, flour, and cinnamon mixed you’ll take butter and with a fork cut it into the sugar mixture. You end up with something that resembles coarse cornmeal.
Sprinkle that all over the muffins and then you bake the muffins and get ready to enjoy them.
Helpful Tips and Tools
- Use an ice cream scoop to fill your muffin pan to make sure you get an even amount of batter for each muffin.
- Keep ripe bananas peeled and ready to go in the freezer so you can make these banana crumb muffins any time you want.
- Double the streusel topping and swirl half of it the muffin batter and then also top the muffins if you’d like a bit of a sweeter treat.
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 3 bananas (mashed)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly grease muffin tin or line with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together bananas, egg, sugar, milk, coconut oil, and vanilla extract.
- Add the Bisquick and mix until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, and cinnamon.
- Cut in 1/2 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin, comes out clean.