Raspberry and lemon is a perfect combination. The tart flavors work well in sweet treats. One of my favorite desserts I’ve made is a raspberry lemon cake, it was delicious. I will be sure to share that recipe very soon but lately I’ve been baking more muffins than cakes.
Muffins are still lovely sweet treats but they have less sugar and are bit better for us. They also help with portion control. And they freeze really well so I can make a bunch at once and freeze most of them. This helps prevent the “well they are going to go bad so I better eat all of them right now” excuse. Or is it just me that thinks that way?
Banana muffins are normally my favorite and chocolate chip muffins are my husband’s but the warm weather called for a more summery flavor combination. Since I had been craving lemonade, as I do every year around this time, I knew lemon had to be involved. Since raspberries and lemons go so well together I decided that would be perfect.
Not only did the muffins turn on delicious, they are really pretty. They are soft and have just the right amount of sweet and tart. They are a great little treat, I of course pair mine with a cup of tea.
You can use fresh or frozen raspberries so these are great for a taste of summer all year. I used frozen because raspberries just go bad so fast and I knew I wasn’t going to make them in time. It worked perfectly! I even had some in the freezer already.
One thing to remember when making muffins is try not to over mix them. Also a little tip is to use an ice cream scoop to scoop them into the muffin tin. It makes less mess and gives you more even muffins.
- 2 cups homemade baking mix
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In medium bowl, mix sugar and baking mix.
- In a small bowl, whisk milk, egg, oil and vanilla.
- Add milk mixture to dry ingredients, until just combined.
- Mix in lemon juice and lemon zest, don't over mix.
- Fold in raspberries.
- Scoop into lined muffin tin.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, until lightly golden brown.