As I have talked about before, Applegate Farms is one of the few non-local meats I will buy. Normally you have no idea where the meat came from if you buy from a big name brand. However, Applegate Farms is different you can even track your products by using the code on the back and entering it in to the site. Their meat is also either natural or organic and is raised humanely. Here is what they say is they promise their customers-
- Our animals are never given antibiotics. Healthy animals don’t need medicine. Instead, we give them space, fresh air, and a healthy diet, which we’re certain beats the alternative.
- Our livestock eat a completely vegetarian diet with no animal by-products. Cattle in our organic program are grass-fed. Hogs and poultry in our organic program are fed a grain diet that includes corn, soy, barley, and flax that are free from GMOs.
- Our animals are never given hormones or artificial growth promotants. They grow at their natural rate.
- All of our products are made with natural and organic ingredients. If you aren’t familiar with a particular ingredient, email us and we’ll tell you what it is.
- Our products are all minimally processed, allowing for a wholesome texture and taste.
- Our products never contain artificial nitrates or nitrites. Instead, we use celery juice and sea salt to preserve our products the natural and old fashioned way.
- Our deli meat, hot dogs, burgers, and bacon are gluten and casein free.
- Our products are made from natural and organic whole muscle meat. Yes, even our hot dogs! No mystery here.
I got the chance to try some of their new products, here is what I thought.
Organic Uncured Thick Cut Bacon is one of the products I tried out. I have gotten their Uncured Sunday Bacon a number of times and my husband and I have always enjoyed it but it’s natural not organic and I prefer organic when possible. I was so happy to see they now sell organic bacon. It is just as good or better than the Sunday Bacon.
The other product I tried was the Organic Uncured Turkey Bologna. Bologna was always a guilty pleasure but it can have some pretty questionable ingredients so I haven’t had any in years. This bologna is much higher quality than what I remembered and it was a great treat.
My overall view on these new Applegate Farms products is that they live up to the same great taste and quality I have come to expect from Applegate Farms. You can find there products at Whole Foods and other natural food stores. If you are looking for natural/organic and humanely raised meat be sure to check out Applegate Farms.
Disclaimer: I was giving these items to review by Applegate Farms. However, I was not paid for the review and these are my honest views. For more info please read my full disclaimer.