My best friend and I, as teenagers, often had joint birthday parties. Her birthday is July 15th and mine is July 1st, so we’d have it in the middle. Her mom would make a cake and because cake was not my favorite thing, my mom would make brownies. It worked out perfectly because we both got our favorite birthday dessert and our guests had two choices. We also had homemade ice cream, because ice cream is perfect for cake and brownies.
Seeing that brownies are one of my favorite desserts, I was pretty excited to learn about cheesecake brownies. Two of the best desserts in one!
So when I was thinking about what desserts to try to make this holiday season, I looked through my recipe box for inspiration and saw cheesecake brownies. Then the idea hit me, peppermint cheesecake brownies. A mix of some of my favorite things and a pretty easy dessert to make.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. I was not paid for this post and all thoughts are my own.
I’m not a fan of pumpkin spice, am I allowed to say that? However, I am a big fan of peppermint. I love this time of year when there is peppermint everything! I freaked out a bit last month when I saw Snack Factory White Chocolate and Peppermint Pretzel Crisps. Those things are amazing. I also had to pick up some natural candy canes, yum!
My list of recipes to create for the holidays is almost all peppermint flavored items. I like some spiced things and I make gingerbread cookies most years. However, peppermint is my favorite holiday flavor. It just screams Christmas to me.
I actually made the peppermint cheesecake brownies for Thanksgiving. Not your typical Thanksgiving dessert but I couldn’t wait to try it out and my family doesn’t mind. Everyone seemed to enjoy them. It’s definitely going pretty high on my top desserts list.
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease 8x8 inch pan.
- Prepare cheesecake batter. Use a handmixer to mix butter and cream cheese until smooth. Mix in sugar, egg, flour, and peppermint extract until combined. Set aside.
- Prepare brownie batterin a medium bowl combine melted butter and cocoa and stir until cocoa is dissolved. Add sugar and mix well. Add eggs one at a time and stir until well combined. Stir in vanilla, flour and salt until you no longer see any flour, do not over mix.
- Pour all but 1/2 cup of brownie batter into prepared pan. Spread cheesecake batter on top of brownie layer. Drop tablespoons of reserved brownie batter on top of cheesecake layer. Swirl the batter by dragging a knife over the top.
- Bake about 25 minutes, until top is set. Allow to cool completely before cutting.
- Store in airtight container, keep refrigerated.
- Optional: Sprinkle crushed candy canes on top.
What is your favorite flavor this time of year? Do you like peppermint? Share your favorite peppermint treats with me, I’m always looking for new ones to try!
Be sure to also check out my peppermint chocolate chip cookie recipe.