Want a clean home with minimal effort? These daily habits help you keep your house clean all of the time.
While I love being a homemaker I can’t say I enjoy spending a large amount of time cleaning. I have other things I’d rather be doing but I do of course want a clean home. So how do you keep a clean home but not spend all of your time working on it? Doing a little bit every day.
Once you develop some daily cleaning habits into your routine you will be able to spend less time cleaning while still maintaining a clean home. And a big bonus, you won’t have to worry if guests show up at the last minute.
Before you work on the daily cleaning habits you want to be sure you have routines in place. Morning and evening routines are especially helpful. I learned more about creating mine through the Make Over Your Mornings and Make Over Your Evenings courses. The courses really helped me make effective routines.
When you are working on your morning and evening routines be sure to allow time for some light cleaning. These will be good times to work on some of the daily habits.
Daily Habits for a Clean Home
1. Put dishes in the dishwasher or wash them after each meal. Dishes can pile up really quickly if you don’t stay on top of them. Hopefully others in your family will get in the habit of putting their dishes in the dishwasher if you have one or rinsed in the sink if not. Either way, you want to stay on top of getting them clean. Run the dishwasher whenever it is full.
2. Find a laundry system that works for you. Some people like to do a load or two a day and some prefer one day to get it all done. I do a mixture of both. I like to wash bedding, blankets, and towels on Monday and do the rest of the loads during the week. Find what works best for you and your family, the goal is to stay on top of it instead of waiting until you have nothing clean to wear.
3. Take a quick walk through the house to pick up a couple times a day. If you work outside of the home this can be before you go to work and in the evening. If you are home during the day try and find a few times throughout the day to do this. We all sit too much so this is a good way to get up and moving and to stay on top of the mess.
4. Always be decluttering. The trend right now is to declutter everything all at once and that can be good once but you need to keep up with it as well. Keep a box for donations and when you are cleaning and you see something you have no need for, stick it in the box. When the box is full donate it. Keeping up with clutter makes cleaning much easier.
5. Do a quick bathroom wipe down. If you wipe down the counters and sink, lightly scrub the toilet, wipe down the mirror, and spray some daily shower cleaner in the shower, you won’t have much deep cleaning to do each week. It will also always be ready for surprise guests.
6. Wipe down your countertops and sink in your kitchen after each meal. This task only takes a couple of minutes but will prevent tougher scrubbing later on. Plus everyone loves a clean kitchen!
7. Make your bed. A made bed makes a room look so much neater. Just be sure you give your bed some time to air out before making it.
If you keep up with these habits you will find when you do deeper cleaning you have less to do and you won’t be embarrassed when surprise guests show up. It won’t take you long at all and once you make them habits you won’t even have to think about it.
What do you do every day to keep your home in shape? Or are you more of a crisis cleaning type of person? Let me know in the comments below.