I’m normally not the biggest fan of chicken pot pie but this version is delicious. It’s a great way to use leftover chicken (or even turkey or ham). You can add whatever vegetables you’d like. We like to use broccoli, it goes really well with the cheese sauce.
The crust is basically a cheese biscuit and is so good. I personally enjoy it a lot more than a pie crust topping. It’s also easier than a from scratch pie crust. I also feel like this is a more kid-friendly dish with all the cheese.
This recipe makes four good size servings. It would be very easy to double and make in a 9×13 size pan.
Homemade Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 cups chopped leftover cooked chicken (or ham or turkey)
- 2 cups vegetables
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup homemade baking mix
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup milk
- Melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and cook for about 1 minute. Slowly add chicken broth, whisking constantly. Bring to simmer, whisk occasionally. It should be fairly thick. Remove from the heat and add salt and pepper. Stir in cheese until melted.
- Add meat and vegetables to the sauce and mix well. Pour mixture into the pan.
- Biscuit topping: Mix all of the ingredients with a fork until everything is evenly mixed. Spread thinly over mixture in the pan. Gaps are okay as it will spread as it bakes.
- Bake at 400ºF for 25 minutes or until biscuit topping is golden and filling is bubbling.
This is such a fun recipe to play with, experiment with different meat and veggies. You could use more veggies and skip the meat if you are a vegetarian.
What are your favorite things to have in a pot pie? Share in the comments below.