*This post contains affiliate links. I was not paid for this post and all thoughts are my own.*
A reader survey by Redbook found that 45 percent of couples “rarely” have date nights. Only 18 percent said they go out around once a month.
Date nights are a great way to spend quality time with your partner and stay connected. One reason often given for the lack of date nights is cost. Last month I shared cheap date night ideas to help with that issue. Another excuse is time. Date nights at home can help with both time and cost.
Date Nights at Home
- Have a movie night at home, complete with popcorn and snacks.
- Have a picnic in your backyard.
- Play board games. Make it as innocent or sensual as you want.
- Have a theme night. For example, watch a sports themed movie, grill hot dogs and eat fun junk food. Other theme ideas would be Italian, Paris, a decade, the ideas are endless.
- Enjoy childhood favorites. Get to know each other better by watching some childhood favorite movies or TV shows and sharing your childhood favorite snacks.
- Have a wine tasting at home. Pick out a few bottles of wine and find which are your favorites. (What to do with left over wine.) This would work for beer as well.
- Make ice cream sundaes. Be sure to try each other’s creations. You can even make homemade ice cream with a fun ice cream ball.
- Recreate a memorable meal together.
- Start a journal together.
- Get to know each other by asking each other questions. (100 questions to ask your partner.)
- Create your own holiday. Be as silly as you want to but make sure to put it on the calendar.
- Remember the day of mix tapes? Make each other playlists for your phone, computers or use Spotify.
- Have dinner by candlelight. It doesn’t have to be a fancy dinner, it can even be take-out. Get out some nice plates, cloth napkins, and some candles and have a romantic dinner.
- Play Name That Food. Each person picks out some food to feed the other person while they are blindfolded. See how many you can each guess.
- Make a date night jar together to help make sure you continue to make time for date nights!
What are some of your favorite ideas for at home date nights? How often do you make time for date nights? Let me know in the comments below.